Big Oil skeptical about potential there. Phyllis Mains
New York Times article
February 21,
2005
Big Oil
Steps Aside in Battle Over Arctic
By JEFF GERTH
WASHINGTON,
Feb. 20 - George W. Bush first proposed drilling for oil in a small part of
the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska in 2000, after oil industry
experts helped his presidential campaign develop an energy plan. Five years
later, he is pushing the proposal again, saying the nation urgently needs to
increase domestic production.
But if Mr.
Bush's drilling plan passes in Congress after what is expected to be a fierce
fight, it may prove to be a triumph of politics over
geology.
Once allied, the
administration and the oil industry are now far apart on the issue. The major
oil companies are largely uninterested in drilling in the refuge, skeptical
about the potential there. Even the plan's most optimistic backers agree that
any oil from the refuge would meet only a tiny fraction of America's
needs.
While Democrats have
repeatedly blocked the drilling plan, many legislators believe it has its best
chance of passage this year, because of a Republican-led White House and
Congress and tighter energy supplies. Though the oil industry is on the
sidelines, the president still has plenty of allies.
The Alaska
Congressional delegation is eager for the revenue and jobs drilling could
provide. Other legislators favor exploring the refuge because more promising
prospects, like drilling off the coasts of Florida or California, are not
politically palatable. And many Republicans hope to claim opening the refuge
to exploration as a victory in the long-running conflict between development
interests and environmentalists.
The refuge is a symbol of that larger debate, said
Senator Lisa Murkowski, an Alaska Republican who is a major supporter of
drilling. Opponents agree. "This is the No. 1 environmental battle of the
decade," said Representative Edward J. Markey, Democrat of
Massachusetts.
Whether that battle
will be worthwhile, though, is not clear. Neither advocates nor critics can
answer a crucial question: how much oil lies beneath the wilderness where the
administration wants to permit drilling?
Advocates cite a 1998 government study that estimated
the part of the refuge proposed for drilling might hold 10 billion barrels of
oil. But only one test well has been drilled, in the 1980's, and its results
are one of the industry's most closely guarded secrets.
A Bush adviser says the major oil companies have a
dimmer view of the refuge's prospects than the administration does. "If the
government gave them the leases for free they wouldn't take them," said the
adviser, who would speak only anonymously because of his position. "No oil
company really cares about ANWR," the adviser said, using an acronym for the
refuge, pronounced "an-war."
Wayne Kelley, who worked in Alaska as a petroleum
engineer for Halliburton, the oil services corporation, and is now managing
director of RSK, an oil consulting company, said the refuge's potential could
"only be determined by drilling."
"The enthusiasm of government officials about ANWR
exceeds that of industry because oil companies are driven by market forces,
investing resources in direct proportion to the economic potential, and the
evidence so far about ANWR is not promising," Mr. Kelley
said.
The project has long been on
Mr. Bush's agenda. When he formulated a national energy policy during the 2000
campaign he turned to the oil industry for help. Heading the effort was Hunter
Hunt, a top executive of the Hunt Oil Company, based in
Dallas.
The Bush energy advisers
endorsed opening a small part - less than 10 percent of the 19-million-acre
refuge - to oil exploration, an idea first proposed more than two decades ago.
The refuge, their report stated, "could eventually produce more than the
amount of oil the United States now imports from Iraq."
The plan criticized President Bill Clinton's energy
policies, both in the Middle East, where most of the world's oil lies, and in
the United States. In 1995 Mr. Clinton vetoed legislation that authorized
leasing in the Alaska refuge. An earlier opportunity to open it collapsed
after oil spilled into Alaskan waters in 1989 from the Exxon Valdez.
Subsequent efforts, including one in Mr. Bush's first term, also
failed.
Mr. Hunt, through an aide,
declined an interview request. Others who advised Mr. Bush on his energy plan
said including the refuge was seen as a political maneuver to open the door to
more geologically promising prospects off the coasts of California and
Florida. Those areas, where tests have found oil, have been blocked for years
by federal moratoriums because of political and environmental
concerns.
"If you can't do ANWR,"
said Matthew R. Simmons, a Houston investment banker for the energy industry
and a Bush adviser in 2000, "you'll never be able to drill in the promising
areas."
Shortly after assuming
office, Mr. Bush asked Vice President Dick Cheney to lead an examination of
energy policy. A May 2001 report by a task force Mr. Cheney assembled echoed
many of Mr. Bush's campaign promises, including opening up part of the refuge.
The report called for further study of the Gulf of Mexico and other areas. The
next year, Mr. Bush said "our national security makes it urgent" to explore
the refuge.
By then, the industry
was moving in the opposite direction. In 2002 BP withdrew financial support
from Arctic Power, a lobbying group financed by the state of Alaska, after an
earlier withdrawal by Chevron Texaco. BP, long active in Alaska, later moved
its team of executives to Houston from Alaska, a company executive
said.
"We're leaving this to the
American public to sort out," said Ronnie Chappell, a BP spokesman, of the
refuge. About a year ago, ConocoPhillips also stopped its financial support
for Arctic Power, said Kristi A. DesJarlais, a company
spokeswoman.
Ms. DesJarlais said
her company had a "conceptual interest" in the refuge but "a more immediate
interest in opportunities elsewhere."
Other companies have taken similar positions. George L.
Kirkland, an executive vice president of Chevron Texaco, said a still-banned
section in the Gulf of Mexico, where the company has already drilled, was of
more immediate interest. ExxonMobil also has shown little public enthusiasm
for the refuge. Lee R. Raymond, the chairman and chief executive, said in an
television interview last December, "I don't know if there is anything in ANWR
or not."
For the Interior
Department, however, the refuge is the best land-based opportunity to find new
oil. Any lease revenues, estimated by the department to be $2.4 billion in
2007, would be split between the federal and state governments. Advocates say
oil production could reach one million barrels per day. In a decade from now,
when the site might be fully developed, that would be about 4 percent of
American consumption, according to federal forecasts.
David L. Bernhardt, deputy
chief of staff to the secretary of the interior, cited a 1998 study by the
United States Geological Survey estimating that the refuge might hold 10.4
billion barrels of recoverable oil. (The estimate for offshore oil is 76
billion barrels.)
But that study
has significant weaknesses, which Mr. Bernhardt acknowledged. Its estimates
are of "petroleum resources" - potential oil deposits - instead of "petroleum
reserves," which refers to oil that has been discovered.
Ken Bird, a geological survey official who worked on the
study, said the federal geologists did not have access to test data from the
only exploratory well drilled on the refuge, by Chevron Texaco and BP in the
1980's. An official with one of the companies, speaking anonymously because of
the confidentiality of the test, said that if the results had been encouraging
the company would be more engaged in the political effort to open the
refuge.
There has not been much
discussion about the refuge between the companies and the Bush administration,
according to industry and government officials.
"I don't think I've talked to the oil industry over the
last several years about the economic potential of ANWR," Mr. Bernhardt
said.
The relationship between the
administration and the oil industry has been a flashpoint for critics of Mr.
Bush. Democrats, upset that Mr. Cheney refused to disclose information about
his task force meetings with industry executives, see a cozy
alliance.
Their concerns are
heightened because of the former ties between the industry and Mr. Bush and
Mr. Cheney and the administration's stance on issues like climate change. The
president once headed a small exploration company, and Mr. Cheney previously
was chief executive of Halliburton.
"Big oil," Senator John Kerry said in last year's
presidential campaign, now calls "the White House their
home."
Some industry executives say
their views are more aligned with those of Republicans on a broad range of
issues including regulation, the environment and energy supply, and they were
heartened by the initial pronouncements of the Bush administration. But some
say they feel let down by Mr. Bush's inability to lift bans on oil
exploration.
"When this
administration came in, the president and the vice president recognized there
was a problem of energy supply and demand," said Tom Fry, the executive
director of the National Offshore Industries Association. But Mr. Cheney's
task force, Mr. Fry said, talked only about offshore drilling as something to
be studied. "They never say they will lift the moratoria," he
said.
Copyright 2005
The New York Times
Company
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sign up to receive Sierra Club Insider, the flagship
e-newsletter. Sent out twice a month, it features the Club's
latest news and activities. Subscribe and view recent
editions at http://www.sierraclub.org/insider/