Thursday, December 18, 2008
DES MOINES – Governor Chet Culver has announced new steps he is taking to meet the budget challenges facing the state of Iowa caused by a global economic downturn, including an across-the-board cut in State spending.
“We are in the midst of an economic challenge that is historic in its scope,” said Governor Culver. “While its cause comes from actions on Wall Street, supported by misguided federal policies from Washington over the past eight years, the result has been an economic recession that is hitting Main Streets and factories and farms and families across the nation. This world-wide economic recession is affecting every state in the nation, no matter if they are big or small, rural or urban, Democratic or Republican. We are all facing this challenge together. And together, we must accept the reality and share in the sacrifice.”
The Governor is taking action after last week’s meeting of the Revenue Estimating Conference (REC) determined that state government would see a decline in revenues during the current fiscal year. After meetings with state budget officials and members of his Council of Economic Advisors, the Governor determined the end of the economic downturn has not yet reached Iowa and that the REC could make further reductions to revenue estimates.
The Iowa Constitution requires a balanced budget; the state cannot deficit spend. Today’s actions by the Governor meet the demands of the current and projected declines in revenue, and balance the state budget. He has taken the following steps:
Governor Culver assured Iowans that he would hold the line on taxes, saying, “Maintaining a balanced budget and staying in front of this national economic crisis requires sacrifice throughout state government, as well as business, workers, urban, rural, and all of Iowa. And I intend to do this while holding the line on taxes.”
Today’s announcement represents a $101 million reduction in general fund expenditures for the current fiscal year. When combined with last weeks announced $77 million in cuts, this represents nearly $180 million in budget savings for the current fiscal year.
During his remarks today, the Governor reassured Iowans that Iowa is in a strong position to meet the challenges presented by the national economic downturn.
“I don’t want to be alarmist or suggest to Iowans that their state government is in financial trouble,” the Governor said. “The fact is we have more than $620 million in reserves that will help us through this situation. We have a AAA bond rating that would allow us to do some things that other states may find impossible.”
The Governor added: “We have a history, under both Democratic and Republican leadership, of balancing our budget and acting appropriately to economic tough times. And we have a strong, unmatched, talented citizenry who demands that their political leaders pull together to keep Iowa strong. The difficult, current economic circumstances may not be the fault of Iowans, but it is something we must all face together. Like most Iowans, I am both optimistic and confident about what the future holds for our state. We have always met challenges with solutions, problems with answers. And we always will. “
Below is a listing of budget savings announced by the Governor in recent weeks.
SAVINGS ANNOUNCED ON DECEMBER 9TH
| Freeze on Out-of-State Travel, Filling of Vacancies, and Equipment Purchases and savings from Judicial Branch, Legislature, and the Regents: | $28.0 million |
| Transfers from Alcoholic Beverages Division and Executive Council: | $12.0 million |
| De-appropriation of New State Office Building: | $37.0 million |
| Total | $77.0 million |
ADDITIONAL SAVINGS ANNOUNCED TODAY
| 1.5 % Across-the-Board Reduction: | $91.4 million |
| Transfer of Funds | $10.0 million |
| Total | $101.4 million |
Total Budget Savings: $178.4 million