JUNEAU, Alaska - The U.S. Bureau of Land
Management has issued a decision that it says will open the way for the first
oil and gas production from federal lands in the National Petroleum
Reserve-Alaska.
The decision is a shift from the alternative BLM had earlier selected as its
preferred option. But it aligns with the alternative chosen by the U.S. Army
Corps of Engineers.
A BLM spokeswoman said ConocoPhillips, the operator of the development
project, would not have been able to go forward if the two agencies were not on
the same page.
BLM says it was able to incorporate a "robust package" of mitigation
requirements.
Conservation groups expressed disappointment with the decision. They said it
would allow for construction of an 8-mile road through sensitive wetlands and
tundra.
Friday, February 13, 2015 5:23 pm associated press, Fairbanks, Daily-News Miner