From: Debbie Neustadt, Iowa Sierra Club, Ex Com member

This memo is from Molly Diggin the Chapter Chair the chapter in North
Clarolina with an article from a newspaper.
_______________________________________________

md: one might have thought that
the massive devastation wrought by Hurricane Floyd might have at least
temporarily sobered up the hog industry, but apparently not.

Today's Raleigh News & Observer front page story on the Pork Council's
request to Congress, in which the hog industry asks for $1 billion, an
exemption from environmental laws, waiver of North Carolina's moratorium on
new and expanded hog operations, and --last but not least-- permission to
rebuild using outdated siting and construction standards.

The proposal is so bad that even Jesse Helms' office dissed it.


-----
Hog farmers seek aid 

Pork producers whose waste lagoons overflowed during Floyd ask members of
Congress to help them get an exemption from environmental rules.


By JAMES ROSEN , Washington Correspondent


     WASHINGTON -- Lobbyists for hog farmers in North Carolina have asked
lawmakers from the state to help them gain sweeping exemptions from federal
and state environmental regulations in the wake of flooding left by
Hurricane Floyd. 
     The 20 inches of rain dumped on Eastern North Carolina in 24 hours
last month, and the historic flooding it prompted, caused widespread
contamination from human and animal waste. 
     A proposal on behalf of the state's pork producers, sent last week to
the Washington offices of several lawmakers, seeks legislative relief from
Congress for hog farmers with waste lagoons that were swollen or ruptured
by Floyd's record floodwaters. 
     Walter Cherry, head of the N.C. Pork Council in Raleigh, sent the
draft legislative package to at least five members of the state's
congressional delegation. 
     The four-page proposal, a copy of which was obtained by The News &
Observer, is dated Sept. 29 and written in the form of legislation. While
all farmers in Eastern North Carolina would be eligible for relief under
its provisions, environmentalists and state officials said the package is
clearly intended to help large hog farmers and other intensive livestock
operations. 
     Among the proposed waivers of environmental regulations are: 
 Authority to repair or rebuild facilities to the standards that existed
when they were originally constructed, rather than current, stricter
standards. 
     
 "Red tape relief" to allow the waiver or suspension of any federal, state
or local regulation that slows reconstruction. 
     
 An exemption of up to one year from provisions of the Clean Water Act, a
centerpiece of federal environmental law for the last quarter century, so
that livestock farmers could discharge waste from lagoons into waterways
without obtaining a permit. 
     The proposal got a cool reception from some North Carolina lawmakers. 
     "As we rebuild, we cannot repeat the mistakes of the past or backpedal
on environmental protection," said Democratic Rep. David Price of Chapel
Hill. "When we are finished with the job of recovering from the devastation
caused by Floyd, we want to have cleaner streams and rivers in Eastern
North Carolina, not dirtier." 
     David Rouzer, an aide to Republican Sen. Jesse Helms, said
congressional appropriators weighing large amounts of aid to Floyd victims
probably would not be interested in a "wish list" from a particular
interest group. 
     "As far as the 100-year flood zone is concerned or rebuilding lagoons
to old or new standards, those are state issues that, quite frankly, we
don't have time to deal with up here," Rouzer said. "We're trying to get as
much money as we can and get it delivered in the proper manner. I don't
think anybody in this congressional delegation is going to dictate
standards that really the state legislature ought to be debating, not the
U.S. Congress." 
     Mike Williams, director of the Animal and Poultry Waste Management
Center at N.C. State University in Raleigh, said the notion of rebuilding
hog lagoons to old standards might not fit with Gov. Jim Hunt's bid to
phase out such facilities over 10 years and convert them to other
waste-management systems. 
     "If there is going to be significant money spent, it may merit taking
a critical look at how that would fit into a conversion plan for new
technology," Williams said. 
     Beth Ann Mumford, a spokeswoman for the N.C. Pork Council, said the
group's proposal had been misinterpreted. 
     "This was not intended to be some controversial thing," she said. "We
were just trying to get some help for those producers who have been flooded
out. We're not trying to skirt any state laws or federal laws." 
     Mumford noted that the exemptions sought by the proposal would apply
only to a small number of hog farmers who suffered extensive damage. 
     "We're talking about three dozen hog farms that have been flooded,"
she said. "There has been no determination of those that must be rebuilt
versus repaired, so we may only be looking at a handful of hog farms that
need any kind of technical or financial assistance at all." 
     Molly Diggins, head of the N.C. Sierra Club, said she was disappointed
by the organization's legislative package. 
     "The proposal seems to put a higher value on hog lagoons than on
public health," Diggins said. "And it is seeking to use taxpayer dollars to
put the public at risk. Waiving the Clean Water Act when residents of
Eastern North Carolina have already experienced serious threats to their
drinking-water supply is just completely unconscionable." 
     North Carolina has imposed tougher regulations on hog farmers since
massive rainfall in 1995 ruptured large lagoons and spilled waste into
rivers and other waterways, contributing to the deaths of millions of fish. 
     Don Reuter, spokesman for the N.C. Department of Environment and
Natural Resources, said state regulators understand that hog farmers and
other livestock producers need a grace period because of Floyd. 
     But he said the state would have serious concerns about any suspension
or waiver of provisions in the Clean Water Act. 
     "Since this storm hit, we have taken our regulatory hat off," Reuter
said. "Our focus has been on assistance and assessment. We recognize that
this is an unprecedented event in our history. But it is important for us
to still have appropriate enforcement capabilities for those bad actors who
choose to take advantage of the circumstances." 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To get off the CONS-CAFO-ACTIVIST list, send any message to:
[log in to unmask]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To get off the IOWA-TOPICS list, send any message to:
[log in to unmask]